This is Italian comfort food and always a favorite whenever I make it for my family or bring it to a social get together.
Serves 6 – 8
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 4-6 large yukon gold potatoes – peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 lbs italian sausage – hot or mild, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 – 5 large bell peppers – red, yellow and orange, seeded and sliced
- 4 large onions – cut into thick slices
- ¾ cup white wine – your favorite
- ¾ cup chicken stock – more as needed
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled and left whole
- 2 tsps dried oregano
- good sprinkling of garlic powder
- salt and black pepper – to taste
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat.
- Add the cut sausage links and cook until browned.
- Transfer to a separate large baking dish that has been very lightly oiled and keep warm.
- Pour ¼ cup of olive into the pan with the sausage drippings and when hot, cook the potatoes in batches so that they are not crowded, until they are browned.
- Turn them over to lightly brown both sides.
- Place the cooked potatoes over the sausage in the baking dish.
- Leave the oil in the skillet.
- Add the peppers along with the onions into the skillet and cook, turning for a few minutes.
- Add the wine and the chicken stock and gently stir all together along with the salt pepper and dried oregano that you massage through your fingers as you sprinkle over all.
- Mix all together and bake in a preheated oven until hot and bubbly – about 30 minutes.
- Serve with crusty Italian sandwich rolls.