A Splendid and Easy Spaghetti Alla Checca. Spaghetti is always a crowd pleaser. There are a lot of ways to cook it and here’s my favorite recipe I took from Rodolfo.
- 1 large spaghetti
- 6 large salad tomatoes – not very ripe
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4-5 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 fresh garlic cloves
- 1 bunch (20-30 leaves) fresh basil
- salt and ground black pepper
- parmesan or romano cheese – grated
- Peel the tomatoes and cut into large chunks. Peel the garlic cloves. Detach leaves from basil stems.
- Combine diced tomatoes, garlic cloves, basil leaves, oregano, salt and freshly ground black pepper with olive oil. Pulse all in blender for 3 seconds and set aside.
- Cook spaghetti, al dente, in a pot of salted water. When spaghetti is cooked, drain and scoop into a large, heated skillet.
- Pour the tomato sauce over the pasta and heat all ingredients together. Pass grated cheese when serving.
This is one of the easiest pasta sauce recipes I have in my “keep file”. Whenever I am running late or have a busy day, this is one of the recipes I fall back on. Not only is it delicious, quick and easy, but it is also so versatile. Add some shrimp or chicken tenders and you have a completely new dish!
However, it is more than enjoyable just the way it is, sprinkled with freshly grated cheese and topped with just a few drops of extra virgin olive oil. And in our house, yes, we have a few slices of crusty Italian bread to sop up the sauce.