This salad is so festively colorful and such a nice surprise.
- 2 Bunches Red Beets
- ¼ Cup Minced Shallots
- 2 Tbs Fresh Lemon Juice
- Level tsp of Salt
- Pinch of Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Oz Soft Goat Cheese
- 1/3 Cup Pistachios – shelled, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 Oz Arugula – or your favorite salad greens
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Wrap the beets tightly in double layers of heavy aluminum foil.
- Roast until tender, about 1 to 1 ½ hours, depending on size.
- Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, whisk together shallot, lemon juice and salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil slowly and while whisking until well blended.
- Once the beets are cool enough to handle, the skins should slip off easily.
- Discard the skins and slice the beets. (Alternately, you can dice the beets.)
- Toss with some of the dressing.
- Layer some of the greens on a large serving plate.
- Slice the goat cheese into thin slices and scatter on top of the greens.
- Spread beets overall and top with pistachios.
- Sprinkle remaining dressing over all.