- 1 package (12 oz) frozen raspberries – thawed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Process thawed berries in food processor for about 30 seconds or until smooth.
- Press through a fine wire sieve into a saucepan. Press down with a spoon to get most of the juice and then discard the seeds and the pulp.
- Stir together the sugar and corn starch in a small bowl and then add to the pureed raspberries.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Bring this mixture to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring often to make sure nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pot – about 3 minutes.
- Pour into a small bowl and chill at least 1 hour before serving.
This makes a great dessert topping. It works well over ice cream, panna cotta, cheesecake, pound cake and most chocolate desserts. It will make a plain dessert special. And sometimes I use almond extract instead of the vanilla extract. I sometimes add ½ cup of raspberry jelly to the mixture, stirring it well, just before I put it in a bowl to chill.