Aosta is a region of northwest Italy brodered by France and Switzerland. Therefore, Franco-Provencal is the main non-Italian indigenous language. It is known for its iconic snow-capped peaks and major ski resorts. The countryside is dotted with medieval castles and ancient fortresses. Hearty foods such as potato dishes, polenta, bread (often rye) risotto and cheese are enjoyed in various recipes here. Aosta is known for Fontina which is used in a lot of their recipes especially in their cheese fondue known as Fonduta.
- 1 lb veal scaloppine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 oz prsciutto
- 1 tb butter
- 6 oz fontina – shredded
- ½ cup flour
- 2-3 oz white wine
- Melt the butter in a sauté pan over low heat.
- Place a piece of prosciutto over each piece of scaloppine and carefully flour only the bottom of each piece.
- Place the scaloppine in the sauté pan with the prosciutto side down and cook for about 1 minute over medium heat.
- Turn the scaloppine over, add the wine and cook for another few minutes over low heat.
- Add Fontina cheese over each piece of veal and continue cooking until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately with a buttered rice dish and a simple salad. Don’t forget the crusty Italian bread!
Fontina Fonduta Alla Aosta
- 1 loaf hearty bread (ciabatta) – cut into 1-inch cubes extra virgin olive oil – for brushing
½ cup milk – not low fat
1 lb italian fontina -cut into ½ pieces ½ cup heavy cream – not low fat
4 large egg yolks 6 tbs butter – unsalted, sliced
salt and freshly ground white pepper assorted crudites – for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375º. Spread the bread cubes on baking sheets and brush with oil. Bake for 10 minutes until crisp.
- In a large saucepan, combine the Fontina, milk and cream and cook over moderate heat, stirring until the cheese starts to melt.
- Whisk in the butter and, slowly, the egg yolks and cook over low heat, stirring constantly until very smooth.
- Remove from the heat and season lightly with salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- Transfer the fondue to a warmed fondue pot or serving bowl and serve immediately with the toasted ciabatta cubes and assorted crudites of your choice.