- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion – chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves – peeled and sliced
- 2 Cups White Wine
- 4 Cups Spaghetti Sauce – homemade or
- 1 Pinch Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper – freshly ground
- 2 Lbs Calamari Bodies – thinly sliced,
- whole tentacles included
- Fresh Basil Leaves – torn for topping
- 2 Large Eggs – lightly beaten
- Heat the olive oil over low heat in a medium pot.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring frequently until fragrant and the onion is translucent. Do not let it burn.
- Slowly add the white wine and cook for another minute.
- Stir and then add the tomato sauce, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 8 or 10 minutes. Do not overcook or the calamari will be tough and rubbery.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve as a stew or over pasta.
- Top with some torn basil leaves. In our house we also pass the cheese!